We may have tricked you. Our past three player profiles were on the top players in the world: Federer, Williams, Nadal, and I’m sure you were expecting this weeks profile to be Djokovic, or Pliskova but, I wanted to shine the spotlit on Alexander Zverev. Zverev earns the spotlight because he is part of the “NextGen,” which by the name you can probably guess what that group entails.
Why is Zverev such a talent to look out for? Well, he as of July 31 he is at a career high ranking of No. 8 at the young age of 20.
- He was the youngest player in 2016 year-end top 50
- Earned his first ATP ranking point at 15 years old
- In 2013 he was the World No.1 junior
- Broke Wawrinka’s 11-match win streak and won his 1st ATP World Title at St.Petersburg 2016
- Youngest ATP champion since Nishikori in 2008
- Earned his biggest win of his career against Djokovic
ATP. “Alexander Zverev Beats Novak Djokovic to Win First Masters 1000 Title | Rome 2017 Final Highlights.” YouTube. YouTube, 21 May 2017. Web. 08 Aug. 2017.
- Winning the ATP Masters 1000 made him the first player born after 1988 to win an ATP final
- Youngest person to win ATP Masters 1000 since Djokovic in 2007
- His father was a former pro player
- His mother is also a tennis coach
- He has a brother that he plays doubles with
- His idol growing up was Roger Federer
“Roger Federer (SUI) Vs Alexander Zverev (GER) – Hopman Cup 2017 (Highlights HD).”YouTube. YouTube, 04 Jan. 2017. Web. 08 Aug. 2017.
Not only is Zverev an accomplished athlete already, but he demonstrates a strong drive and passion towards tennis.
ATPWorldTour. “Sascha Zverev’s ‘Healthy Obsession’ Uncovered.” YouTube. YouTube, 12 Feb. 2017. Web. 08 Aug. 2017.